OPEN POSITION: WOODWORKER
Position: Woodworker (Male)
Salary: Self-funded, voluntary role
Responds to: Living Timber Coordinator
Location: Lesvos, Greece
Work Pattern: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Start Date(s): Flexible
All4Aid is a Christian nonprofit organisation working with and in support of refugees. Currently, most of our work is based on Lesvos, Greece. We have an exciting opportunity for a Woodworker to serve as part of our team at Living Timber Project, supporting the delivery of activities that foster the personal development and self-esteem of refugee men, while repurposing used wooden pallets.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Post-Holder will support the coordination, development and operation of our woodworking and recycling programme (Living Timber) and all its associated activities aimed at fostering the educational, personal and social development of men. The Post-Holder will help with the supervision, coordination and encouragement of short-term volunteers with a similar call and passion and of community volunteers (local male refugees who help regularly with the project).
- Organise the search, receipt, selection and preparation of pallets.
- Help coordinate foreign short-term volunteers serving in woodworking workshop.
- Communicate supplies purchasing needs to the Living Timber Coordinator.
- Lead a team of male refugee volunteers in learning woodworking skills.
- Develop the process of building furniture for refugees and distributing them.
- Promote a culture of acceptance and respect within the workshop area.
- Help coordinate the cleaning, storing and maintenance of machinery.
a) Previous experience working with woodwork (or another transferable craftsmanship skill).
b) Passionate for fostering the personal development and self-esteem of men.
c) Familiar with basic woodworking/carpentry skills and able to teach to others.
d) Culturally sensitive (aware of cultural differences and similarities between people without assigning them values).
e) Flexible, creative, with excellent attention to detail.
f) Fluent English speaker (advanced proficiency level).
g) Agreeable with the All4Aid’s vision, mission, values.
h) Possessing initiative and ability to work independently.
i) Reliable, professional, resourceful, team oriented.
a) Relevant cross cultural / multicultural experience (open-minded, adaptable, interested in and sensitive to other cultures and backgrounds).
b) Completed training on woodworking/carpentry.
c) European driver’s license.
d) one year commitment (minimum three months).
If you are interested in this position, please click on the button below to apply. During the online application process you will be required to:
- Submit the application form, fully completed.
- Write a Personal Statement outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role.
- Attach a resumé / CV, including educational and professional qualifications and a career history.
- Give us the contact to two personal references.