OPEN POSITION: SUPPORT WORKER
Position: Support Worker
Salary: Volunteer / Support-Based / Self-funded Role (support raising orientation provided)
Responds to: Head of Operations
Location: OASIS / All4Aid Community Centre, Larnaca, Cyprus
Work Pattern: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Start Date: Flexible
INTRODUCTION TO ALL4AID
All4Aid is a Christian nonprofit organisation headquartered in Frankfurt, Germany, which has a mandate to work with and in support of displaced people in transit contexts. Our vision is “displaced people attaining life in all its fullness” (John 10:10b). Our work is currently spread across various locations: a) the island of Lesvos, Greece, which has hosted the largest refugee camp in Europe for several years; b) Larnaca, Cyprus, the country with the largest per capita population of asylum seekers in Europe, and c) Bucharest, Romania, a country which has experienced one of the largest most recent influx of refugees caused by the war on Ukraine. Plans are on the way to expand our programme to Adana, Turkey (not far from the border with Syria), as well as to the South of Spain.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Post-Holder will be supporting the running and operations of the OASIS / All4Aid Centre in Larnaca, Cyprus, as well as the implementation of process and strategies to expand and optimise the Centre’s operations, while maximising the impact of the services provided.
The Post-Holder’s responsibilities include supporting the effective and efficient distribution of food items as well as non-food items (NFIs). A primary focus of the Post-Holder will also be supporting the development of a programme focused on relationship building with the refugee beneficiaries via activities and workshops specially tailored to their needs.
Possessing strong interpersonal skills and being an excellent team player, the Post-Holder will also bring knowledge and experience in the nonprofit and/or social sector and a good understanding of it being applied in high stress and multicultural contexts.
Programme Direct Support: OASIS / All4Aid Centre
- Sort out donations and help with displaying clothing and household items;
- Welcome refugee men, women and children, serve them tea, provide them with hospitality and engage in conversations;
- Provide child care for our younger guests while their parents go to their appointments to collect food and clothing;
- Assist in the operations of the FoodBank Programme, sorting out food items, replenishing the shelves, interacting with guests as they select items;
- Provide and support any special activities and workshops in accordance to your gifts, such as: craft sessions for women, beauty services (manicure/pedicure/hairstyling) music lessons, crochet, painting, dancing, yoga, self-defence, sewing workshops, etc.;
- Help with organising the storage area;
- Be willing to serve in any areas of the Centre as needed and requested.
Essential characteristics and experience:
a) Sympathetic with the ethos of All4Aid as a nonprofit organisation founded on the principles of the Christian Faith;
b) Passionate about holistic ministry among displaced people and/or those living in contexts of extreme poverty and vulnerability;
c) Culturally sensitive (aware of cultural differences and similarities between people without assigning them values);
d) Open minded, demonstrating a willingness to embrace a multicultural programme culture;
e) Flexible, creative, with excellent attention to detail;
f) Agreeable with the All4Aid’s vision, mission, values and policies;
g) Possessing initiative and ability to work independently;
h) Reliable, professional, resourceful, team oriented.
Desirable characteristics and experience:
a) Relevant cross cultural / multicultural experience.
b) Experience with working with refugees and/or disadvantaged people.
c) Fluent English speaker (advanced proficiency level).
d) Educated up to a degree level on a course of study relevant to the position.
e) European driver’s licence.
f) Working knowledge of Google WorkSpace;
g) One year commitment.
If you are interested in this position, please click on the button below to apply. During the online application process you will be required to:
- Submit the application form, fully completed.
- Write a Personal Statement outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role.
- Attach a resumé / CV, including educational and professional qualifications and a career history.
- Give us the contact to two personal references.
If you would like to discuss this role on the phone before applying, please email us at email@example.com to arrange a suitable time.