OPEN POSITION: LEAD TEACHER
Position: Lead Teacher
Salary: Self-funded, voluntary role
Responds to: All4Kids Coordinator (Head Teacher)
Location: Lesvos, Greece
Work Pattern: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Start Date(s): 22 Mar 2021, 20 Jul 2021, 04 Oct 2021 & 03 Jan 2022.
All4Aid is a Christian nonprofit organisation working with and in support of refugees. Currently, most of our work is based on Lesvos, Greece. There, through our All4Kids Learning Centre, we offer a trauma-informed, high quality, non-formal educational programme for refugee boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 12. The children attend classes from Monday to Friday and learn English, Maths, Arts and Physical Education. Teaching takes place in a comfortable and well equipped setting (purpose built classrooms with suitable furniture). Classes are offered free of charge and the children are provided with everything they need to study, including: books, student’s stationary, uniform, snack meals, etc.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Teacher to join our team at the All4Kids Learning Centre on Lesvos, supporting the delivery of activities that foster the educational, personal and social development of our students.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Post-Holder will teach multiple classes of up to 30 refugee children in a variety of content areas that include English, Maths and Arts. The Post-Holder will be responsible for managing the classroom, leading the Assistant Teacher and Classroom Assistants (adult refugee volunteers) and communicating with the families of the children. The Post-Holder will not only provide academic knowledge and instruction to students, but will also help them develop their personalities and skills, by connecting with students and creating a relationship of mutual trust.
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons to all students in the classroom.
- Communicate new concepts in a clear and concise way to students.
- Provide differentiation in instruction to reach students of all learning levels.
- Provide unique learning experiences for children.
- Assign and correct work carried out by students.
- Promote the general progress and well being of the students in class.
- Maintain good order and discipline within the classroom that align with the programme’s philosophy of education.
- Promote a culture of acceptance and love within the classroom.
- Connect and communicate with parents of children and invite them into their child’s learning experience.
a) A teaching degree/qualification or a degree in a relevant subject combined with substantial previous experience working with children in any context (e.g.: sports clubs, youth camp counsellor, Sunday School classes, scouts, etc.).
b) Passionate about the education of children.
c) Willingness to teach multiple content areas (English, Math, Arts, etc.).
d) Culturally sensitive (aware of cultural differences and similarities between people without assigning them values).
e) Open minded, demonstrating a willingness to embrace a multicultural programme culture.
f) Flexible, creative, with excellent attention to detail.
g) Fluent English speaker (advanced proficiency level).
h) Agreeable with the All4Aid’s vision, mission, values, code of conduct.
i) Possessing initiative and ability to work independently.
j) Reliable, professional, resourceful, team oriented.
a) Relevant cross cultural / multicultural experience (open-minded, adaptable, interested in and sensitive to other cultures and backgrounds).
b) Experience with working with refugee children and/or disadvantaged children.
c) European driver’s license.
d) One year commitment (minimum three months).
If you are interested in this position, please click on the button below to apply. During the online application process you will be required to:
- Submit the application form, fully completed.
- Write a Personal Statement outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role.
- Attach a resumé / CV, including educational and professional qualifications and a career history.
- Give us the contact to two personal references.
If you would like to discuss this role on the phone before applying, please email our Managing Director at email@example.com to arrange a suitable time.