Last year, a Centre for Refugee Women & Children was established by our partner organisation Gateways2Life right outside the refugee camp in Lesvos. That was in response to the lack of shower and laundry facilities for the women and children living at Moria Camp, as well as to provide a loving environment where hospitality, educational and recreational activities could be offered.
In 2019, with the view to join forces and expand our efforts to serve the refugees, an alliance was formed between Gateways2Life and All4Aid. As part of that arrangement, Gateways2Life is now focusing on establishing similar refugee centres in additional locations where there is much need. In turn, All4Aid became responsible for handling all the operations of the centre in Lesvos from the 1st of February.
At the Centre in Lesvos we currently provide the following services:
- 10 safe warm showers for use by women and children (girls any age / boys under 6);
- A laundry facility with 9 washing machines where women can wash their clothes;
- A distribution centre providing items of basic need (diapers, wipes, feminine hygiene products, etc.);
- A large hospitality area where our guests are served tea, take part in activities, receive manicures/pedicures/hairstyling;
- A Children’s Corner where our young guests can play;
- A baby bathing area where mothers can bathe their infants in a warm, safe environment;
- And coming soon, two classrooms which will be used to expand our educational and recreational activities for children.
We are excited about our new role and responsibility in Lesvos and honoured for the privilege to serve refugee guests at the Centre. We are happy to welcome female volunteers over 18 who are willing to come and serve alongside our team at the centre for at least a week. For more information on volunteering opportunities, click here.